Saturday, April 08, 2006

I Need A Five-Letter Word For Compose

My friend Terry used to be a clerk for a judge in Vermont who got in trouble a few times because he would do crossword puzzles during trials.

Poor Judge Eleven Across. They just didn't understand you.

But I do, Judge. I get you. Your Honor.

I was cleaning out the garage today, totally focused on reclaiming the place from the beasts and the elements (mainly because we're trying to sell the house). I was sweating, I had a furrowed brow, I was in the Cleaning Zone. And I got some good ideas about where to take the script I'm trying to outline for work.

That's the way it works. I think it's that way with Greg, too, judging by some of his posts, so I know I'm not alone.

Here's the thing -- though you probably know this already. Some of your best writing ideas are gonna come when you're not focused on the writing at all. Maybe most of them will, actually.

Which makes for a pretty fun contradiction. Most successful writers talk about the need for structured, consistent writing sessions. I've heard this from everyone from Bruce Springsteen to Rick Bass to Mary Oliver to Stephen King. It make sense. You write regularly, at regular intervals, and it opens a sort of portal so that you're ready when the good stuff comes through.

I believe in that. So I make sure I write every day.

But I also make sure I distract myself. I follow trails of links through the Guardian, I listen to Ludacris on my iPod, I walk, I make mix CDs for friends. I clean the garage.

It's usually then, when my mind has distanced itself from analyzing (which it is wont to do), when I'm not considering how to get a character from one decision to another decision, when I'm grooving on a bassline from Ron Carter... it's usually then when I get that one nugget that makes sense. Trick is, then, to remember it until you can write it.

So my advice? Be structured in writing. But wander. Far. And remember.

2 comments:

greg said...

Brilliant brilliant post.

That's why God invented the shower and the long drive. And the best invention since man...

ipod.

where would we be creatively without it?

glassblowerscat said...

I used to carry a tiny pad of paper in my back pocket so I could whip it out when the ideas came. Why don't I do that anymore?

Got your script from Greg … looking forward to it.