Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I Failed

But only kinda.

I was supposed to be totally finished with The D Line on March 31.

I wasn’t.

But I did finish on April 2. That’s only kinda failing, right?

So there it is. Done. Sent out. No more work on it.

Unless someone comes along and wants it, and asks for changes of course.

Barring that, I vow to do nothing more but send it out and talk to people about it.

To that end, a friend handed it off last week to the management team of the actor I had in mind as I wrote the lead character. This past Saturday another friend got it physically into the hands of a veteran A-lister – the kind of guy who gets lifetime achievement awards now – who has his own production company, the mission statement of which says they formed to produce exactly this sort of film. 16 other copies have gone off to various actors, producers, directors, agents and managers, through industry contacts I have – didn’t cold call anyone or generally query it out without a connection. Might do that later, if nothing happens for a while with the Connection Plan.

I started on the first version of this script more than three years ago. It’s been a great ride, but I’m relieved to be through with it.

It’s good. Solid. So much better than that first version three years ago. Man have I learned a lot.

And now I move on. Whew.

To what? That’s still a battle between the action script and the thriller my brother and I are considering.

Wonder who’s gonna win that battle. This is for certain, though: I'll pick soon, and whichever one I choose to pour my energy into, I won’t work on it for three years.

2 comments:

glassblowerscat said...

Rock on, baby. I need to get myself one of those connection plans.

Write the one with your brother—that's what I'd do, anyway. I'd love to take a shot at team writing.

Patrick J. Rodio said...

That's not failure at all, good job.