Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not Yet

Yesterday was my first daughter’s 19th birthday. Which means she’s now older than I was when she was born.

We’re a lot a like –- just today on the phone we realized we had both found and fell in love with the band Eels recently. And when I asked her yesterday how it felt to be 19, she launched into a hilariously deadpan musing on sudden enlightenment. Sounded exactly like some wiseass thing I’m sure I said to my own father once.

But I was thinking, if she followed in my footsteps too closely, I’d be a grandfather right now.

Wow.

A grandpa with a one-month old baby himself.

Funny world. Glad I’m in it. I love it.

(And glad I'm not a grandpa yet. Please let me get more grey first...)

In terms of writing, I’ve been inspired by Scott the Reader’s write-every-day self challenge. I haven’t done at least an hour a day like he has, but I've done some non-work-related writing four days in a row now. Of course, he’s at like 36 or something…

In terms of other people’s writing, I rewatched part of Rushmore a few days ago. I really love the scene where Blume goes to see Miss Cross at her house and she offers him a carrot. It’s a great scene about the beginning of a love affair. Little is said overtly, but so much comes across in terms of attraction, curiosity, nervousness. Love.

I found the scene online and read it. Not much is given away in action lines, either. A fine example of trusting the reader, the director, the actors to get the scene.

Which I know is a risk.

Because what if they don’t get it?

But then, should they be reading it if they don’t?

Bravo Messrs. Anderson and Wilson.

3 comments:

glassblowerscat said...

Yeah, I kind of don't trust readers to get things. I find unless I spell it out, anyone who isn't you or Greg doesn't understand what's going on.

And I assume that's because they give the script the same amount of attention an under-paid, overworked professional reader would.

Unlike you and Greg (I think).

MH said...

...and of course Anderson was directing - so he was writing for his own 'vision.' He may not have spelled it all out because of that.

(Man, I'm awake waaay too early...)

149films said...

I've got a feeling that just like you, my kids and I will mature together. It's great you have children basically at all stages of life - gives some good wisdom. I'm still relishing the easy part - childhood.